Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
A Land-O-Lake classic recipe. I've learned the hard way not to roll the crust out on waxed paper. Just make sure you flour the counter extremely well. The easiest way for me to move the crust from the counter to the pan is to fold it over, flour the top if necessary and fold it over again.
- 1 egg yolk, reserve egg white
- 158.51 ml milk, scant
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml butter, cold
- 236.59 ml crushed corn flakes
- 1892.72 ml tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, 1/4-inch sliced (about 8-10 medium apples)
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 7.39 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white (reserved)
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- 14.79-29.58 ml milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For crust, add enough milk to egg yolk to measure 2/3 cup; set aside. In medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- With fork, stir in milk mixture until dough forms a ball. You may need to add a few teaspoons more of milk if dough is still too dry. Divide into halves.
- Roll out half of the dough, on lightly floured surface, into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Place on bottom of ungreased 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- For Filling, sprinkle cereal over top of crust; layer apples over cereal. In small bowl, combine 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples.
- Roll remaining half of dough into a 15 1/2-10 1/2-inch rectangle; place over apples.
- In small bowl, beat egg white with fork until foamy; brush over top crust. In another small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over top crust. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For Glaze, in small bowl, stir together all glaze ingredients. Drizzle over top crust while still warm. Cut into bars.