1/3 Photos of Apple Pie Bars
1 hr 50 mins
Marg (CaymanDesigns)'s Note:
A Land-O-Lake classic recipe. I've learned the hard way not to roll the crust out on waxed paper. Just make sure you flour the counter extremely well. The easiest way for me to move the crust from the counter to the pan is to fold it over, flour the top if necessary and fold it over again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg yolk, reserve egg white
- 2/3 cup milk, scant
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 8 cups tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, 1/4-inch sliced (about 8-10 medium apples)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white (reserved)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2For crust, add enough milk to egg yolk to measure 2/3 cup; set aside. In medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- 3With fork, stir in milk mixture until dough forms a ball. You may need to add a few teaspoons more of milk if dough is still too dry. Divide into halves.
- 4Roll out half of the dough, on lightly floured surface, into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Place on bottom of ungreased 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- 5For Filling, sprinkle cereal over top of crust; layer apples over cereal. In small bowl, combine 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples.
- 6Roll remaining half of dough into a 15 1/2-10 1/2-inch rectangle; place over apples.
- 7In small bowl, beat egg white with fork until foamy; brush over top crust. In another small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over top crust. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 8For Glaze, in small bowl, stir together all glaze ingredients. Drizzle over top crust while still warm. Cut into bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie Bars
Serving Size: 1 (2152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.9
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 120.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 1.4 g