Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A different take on the All American Apple Pie. This one is baked in a jelly roll pan, topped with a glaze of sugar and lemon and sliced into bars.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegetable shortening (not oil)
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk (up to 2/3 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 12 -14 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut-in 1 cup vegetable shortening.
- Separate the eggs.
- Place egg yolks in a one cup measuring cup and add milk to the egg yolks until milk and egg yolks equal 2/3 cups.
- Blend the egg mixture into flour mixture until it reaches a dough consistency.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Roll out 1/2 of the dough to fit the bottom of the jelly roll pan. The crust will be very thin.
- Cover crust with crushed corn flakes.
- Cover corn flakes with prepared apple slices.
- In separate bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle evenly over apple slices.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cover the apple mixture with it.
- The dough will be very thin.
- Beat remaining egg whites until they appear semi-stiff.
- Brush them onto the crust.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice for glaze.
- Blend until smooth.
- Adjust consistency (add lemon juice if too dry; add powdered sugar if too runny).
- Drizzle glaze over the top of the warm bars.
- Bars can be served warm or cold, and they freeze well, too.
Calling all apple pie lovers,this is the one you have to try!Soooo yummy.I baked mine in a rectangular cake tin and used tinned apples.A great recipe,my son gives 2 thumbs up and so do I!!A real winner.