1 hr 15 mins
A different take on the All American Apple Pie. This one is baked in a jelly roll pan, topped with a glaze of sugar and lemon and sliced into bars.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegetable shortening (not oil)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk (up to 2/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 12 -14 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- 4Cut-in 1 cup vegetable shortening.
- 5Separate the eggs.
- 6Place egg yolks in a one cup measuring cup and add milk to the egg yolks until milk and egg yolks equal 2/3 cups.
- 7Blend the egg mixture into flour mixture until it reaches a dough consistency.
- 8Divide the dough in half.
- 9Roll out 1/2 of the dough to fit the bottom of the jelly roll pan. The crust will be very thin.
- 11Cover crust with crushed corn flakes.
- 12Cover corn flakes with prepared apple slices.
- 13In separate bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- 14Sprinkle evenly over apple slices.
- 15Roll out the remaining dough and cover the apple mixture with it.
- 16The dough will be very thin.
- 17Beat remaining egg whites until they appear semi-stiff.
- 18Brush them onto the crust.
- 19Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- 20Remove from oven.
- 22In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice for glaze.
- 23Blend until smooth.
- 24Adjust consistency (add lemon juice if too dry; add powdered sugar if too runny).
- 25Drizzle glaze over the top of the warm bars.
- 26Bars can be served warm or cold, and they freeze well, too.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie Bars
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 35
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.7
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.7 mg
- Sodium 118.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 1.6 g