Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from the Culinary Institute of America. Here's what they say,"As rich as a slice of pecan pie, pecan diamonds are bite-sized treasures that resemble more of a confection than a bar cookie. As the holiday season approaches, you can now create The Culinary Institute of America's renowned pecan diamonds that are sold exclusively at the college's Apple Pie Bakery Café in Hyde Park, New York." Oh yum! A candy thermometer will be helpful in this recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 2⁄3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 cups unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 7 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cookie Dough:.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer bowl with the paddle attachment on medium speed until smooth and light, about 1–2 minutes. Gradually incorporate egg and vanilla, stopping mixer and scraping bowl as needed. Add flour and mix on low speed until just blended, about 30 seconds. Do not overmix.
- Place dough onto or a lightly floured surface(or parchment paper), and shape into a flat square. Wrap dough well with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350* F. and line bottom of a 15-inch x 10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment.
- Roll dough out to a rectangle 17 inches x 12 inches x 1/8-inch thick. Transfer the rolled dough to the baking pan, gently pressing it to the pan. Trim the edges with a paring knife, and prick the bottom of the dough with the prongs of a fork to prevent bubbling during baking.
- Bake until dough is firm but has no color, about 10–12 minutes. Cool dough while you make the filling.
- Pecan Filling:.
- Place the butter, sugars, honey, and cream into a heavy-bottom saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove pot from the heat, add pecans, and stir until fully incorporated. Immediately pour into the pre-baked crust and spread into an even layer.
- Bake in 350*F. oven until the filling bubbles evenly across the surface and the crust is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool thoroughly before cutting.
- Remove from pan using a knife to release the edges and invert the slab onto the back of a sheet pan. Transfer to a cutting board by flipping it over so it is right side up. Trim off the edges and cut into 1- or 2-inch diamonds.
- The bars store well at room temperature, but can also be refrigerated or frozen as long as wrapped airtight. Enjoy!