Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This was forwarded to me from a friend in Australia. I made a couple of flavour/texture enhancements, but still have yet to try it. Looks like fun. We always have too many apples occupying the crisper and run out of ideas to use them up.
- Mix sliced apples with sugars and spice in a bowl. If you prefer more or less spices, make adjustments as desired. Same goes for the sugar.
- Scoop sliced apples into hollow apples.
- 1) Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2) Cut off the top of 4 apples off and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully, as to not puncture the peel.
- If you’re a skilled interior apple excavator, salvage as much as you can so you can use it for Step 2. I, on the other hand, am not skilled so I just had to.
- throw my interior apples away and chop up additional apples for filling.
- 3) Remove skin from remaining apple(s) and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you the additional filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.
- 4) Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie.
- Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
- 5) Place apples in an 8×8 pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.
- Makes 4 baked apple pies (in the apple).