Recipe by CookbookCarrie
From August '04 Cooking Light. A hit with adults and kids alike, sub whatever cookies you have around, I used Vanilla Wafers, original recipe called for oatmeal cookie crumbs. 284 Calories; 4.4g Protein; 3g Fiber; 7.7g fat
Top Review by Marie
Used oatmeal raisin cookies (what I had on hand)and it was a great combination with the apple filling and vanilla ice cream. Used Splenda (1/2 cup minus a tablespoon) for the sugar and tossed in a tablespoon of brown sugar for extra sweetness and color. My kind of dessert - easy and delicious! Thanks Carrie.
- 4 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled cooking apples (I like Pink Lady)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (1/2 Cinnamon, 1/4 Allspice, 1/4 nutmeg)
- 3 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 4 oz. crushed)
- 3 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 5 minutes more or until tender, stir occasionally.
- Spoon into a bowl and cover and chill.
- Spoon 1 tablespoons cookie Crumbs into each of 8 (8 oz.) glasses or sundae dishes; top each with 1/4°C of apple mixture and 3 tablespoons Ice cream.
- Repeat the layers 1 time, ending with Ice cream.
- Serve Immediately.