Recipe by Heidi Goeman
This is recipe is a combination of my Grandma's pie crust recipe and an apple pie recipe from our church cookbook. It's our favorite apple pie recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable shortening
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 10 -12 cups sliced apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust: Cut shortening into flour.
- Beat egg; add water, vinegar and salt.
- Combine all together and roll out.
- This recipe makes 2 double pie crusts.
- For the filling:.
- Combine flour and sugar.
- Peel and slice apples and put in unbaked pie crust.
- Cut butter in two or three pieces and put on top of apples.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over the apples.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of all.
- Top with crust.
- Bake at 400°F ten min.
- ,reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 40 minute longer.