Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
From "The Practical Encylcopedia of Baking". The original recipe is made with tart apples, but I prefer red delicious.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 6 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine flour and salt, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add enough water a tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half, roll out one half and put in a 9 inch pie pan, roll out other half and cut into leaf shapes (Make small leaves for the edges and large leaves for the center).
- Combine the filling ingredients except for the butter and egg, fill the pie, and dot with the butter.
- Arrange the leaves on top, and brush with the egg.
- Bake 10 minutes, reduce temp to 350F and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Cool pie completely in pan.
I supposed I went a little too enthusiastic with the lemon juice : I put a bit more than prescribed while preparing the apples because I didn't want them to rust. I think this extra liquid explains why the bottom crust of the pie ended up somewhat soaked, even though I had put the crust alone in the oven beforehand to make sure it would be properly baked.
So I suppose it can be a great pie, but I kind of messed it up.. :(
For a person that doesn't like apple pie that well this dish was great! I made it for my husband and he couldn't belive I made it all by my self. Thanks for the great recipe!!
I needed to use up some extra apples, so I decided to try this pie. It's delicious! I admit, I did use refrigerate pie crust for convenience, and did not cut out the top, but it still turned out very delicious. I will definitely make this again. Thanks!