Recipe by MrsStacy Casas
I got this recipe from a baking cook book I love! And thought this was a YUMMY recipe for Apple Pie!
Top Review by Joani Bond
I have to agree with the assessment that the pattern in which the recipe is written is very confusing. If I were making pie for the first time, I'd be hopelessly lost. However, a person who is comfortable in pie-making will find this recipe pretty easy, and I think the nutmeg really enhances the taste (this being the first time I've used nutmeg for an apple pie).
Pastry For Double-Crusted Pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 6 -7 tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled cooking apples (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pastry: In a large bowl stir together flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork.
- Push moistened dough to side of bowl.
- Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the dough is moistened.
- Divide in half.
- Form each half into ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 ball of dough.
- Roll from the center to the edge into a 12-inch circle.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin.
- Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
- Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate.
- Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- Roll remaining dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- Place remaining pastry on filling; trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate.
- Fold top pastry under bottom pastry.
- Crimp edge as desired.
- Bake as directed in individual recipes.
- Prepare and roll out pastry.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry; set aside.
- If desired, sprinkle apples with lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add apple slices and, if desired, raisins or walnuts.
- Gently toss to coat.
- Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate.
- Trim pastry to edge of pie plate.
- Cut slits in remaining pastry; place on filling and seal.
- Crimp edge as desired.
- To prevent over browning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake for 35 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.