Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the apple pie I've been making for years and if using Pillsbury pie crusts (ready-made pie dough in the dairy section) is the perfect pie-making project for kids. Recipe adapted from an old church cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line pie pan with bottom crust.
- Peel and slice apples.
- Put 1/2 of the apple slices in prepared pie pan.
- Sprinkle apple slices with 1/2 cup sugar, a little nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add rest of apples and top with rest of sugar (1/2 cup), a little nutmeg cinnamon, flour and butter or margarine cut into small pieces.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Cover with top crust.
- Crimp edges together with fork.
- Sprinkle top with sugar and cut steam vents in top crust.
- Put pie on baking sheet in case of spill-overs.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°F.
This recipe was really easy and very delicious! I've never made a pie before, and it came out perfect. Thanks for sharing!
Great apple pie recipe. I really like the lower, longer baking time. Less watching and it came out fine. I used Granny Smith's and the Pillsbury crust. With tart apples the sugar was the right amount. Taste your apples - if they are sweet, reduce the sugar a bit - this is a good rule for any apple pie recipe. The only thing I did differently was to mix all the filling up in a bowl and then put it in the crust - instead of layering. It is so good, we are having apple pie for breakfast.
Delicious!! I make my own crust though which is an easy recipe. 1 cup flour, 2 to 3 tbsp cold water and 1/3 cup butter or margarine :)