Recipe by mejese313
Only my second attempt at a apple pie but my husband said it was a winner! Great served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- 7 cups apples, thinly sliced peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl toss apples with lemon juice. Combine granulated sugar, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Add to apples and toss until apples are coated. Set apple mixture aside.
- Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. Chill for 1 hour. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 ball of dough into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter or margarine. Trim pastry even with pie plate. For top crust, roll out remaining dough. Cut slits in top crust. Place top crust on the filling. Seal and flute the edge.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 375 degrees F, and bake the pie another 50 to 60 minutes, or until the crust is gorgeously browned and the juices bubble up though the top crust. After about 40 mins in the oven, if the top crust looks as if it's browning too quickly, cover the pie loosely with a foil tent.
- Transfer the pie to a rack and let it rest until it is only just warm or until it reaches room temperature. Makes 6 to 8 servings.