Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Apple pie with raisins and sliced almonds--tastes great warm with vanilla ice cream. Use a baking /pizza stone to place the pie dish on whilst baking to prevent the crust becoming soggy.
- 24 ounces all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces vegetable shortening
- 6 ounces butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium fuji apples, diced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup sliced blanched almond
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Rub the fats into it until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add just enough cold water to mix to a dough that leaves the bowl clean. Leave the pastry to rest in a polythene bag in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 425°F, divide the pastry dough in half, roll out and place in a pie dish that has been dusted with cornflour.
- Mix the pie filling mix together and spoon onto the pie crust.
- Top with the second crust, wrap excess crust under the bottom crust edge, pressing together to seal.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, after 15-20minutes of baking cover the edge of the crust with 2-3 inch wide strips of foil to prevent the crust from burning.
- Cool for 2 hours before serving.
My dad is diabetic and loves apple pie so I tagged this recipe for the Diabetic Forum's February Challenge. Instead of all purpose flour I used whole wheat and also all vegetable shortening instead of half shortening and butter. Pulsed this in the food processer than placed in the refrigerator to chill. Chopped the apples, used cranraisins, omitted the 1/2 cup sugar, only used a 1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar and added extra cinnamon and nutmeg. I do not make pie crusts very well and my top crust did break apart but i pieced it together and tucked under with the bottom crust. Loved the firmness of the apples and their flavor, the cranraisins added just enough tartness, and the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg was perfect. This made a very nice pie but definitely not for someone who enjoys a sweeter flavor.