Recipe by Miryam MS, RD
The classic apple pie made simple and a little bit more healthy for you adding that fiber with the whole wheat flour as well as using canola oil instead of butter and/or shortening
Top Review by Enjolinfam
This apple pie was fantastic! I loved how easy it was to put together. Tasted so great that I never would have thought it was a "healthy" pie by how delicious it was. We used soy milk and 5 large apples, because that's what we had (my daughter snuck an apple before I got to cooking the pie). Thanks! Next time I'll have to make two because this one disappeared fast. Made for PAC.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk or 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk
- 6 -7 cups granny smith apples (about 6-7 apples)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (reserve one tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients for the crust, rool into a ball, and chill for one hour wrap in waxed or plastic paper.
- Divide dough into two balls.Roll out one ball on wax paper. Put into pie plate. Save second ball for the cover.
- Slice apples. Mix with remaining ingredients, place in prepared pie plate.
- Roll out second ball of dough and place on filled pie. Crimp eyes. Brush top with milk and dust with saved sugar. Prikle top with a fork to let air out while baking.
- Bake 20 minutes at 425 degrees, reduce temperature to 350 and bake an additional 30-40 minutes.