Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in 1980 in a very old Farm Journal Best Ever Pie Cookbook. So simple, so delicious. Make this with Cheddar Cheese Pie Pastry for best results.
- 7 cups sliced apples (Granny Smith and Golden Delicious mixed)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Peel and slice apples. Toss with lemon juice.
- Mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Sprinkle over apples and toss to coat evenly.
- Place apples in prepared 9-inch unbaked crust. Dot with butter and place top crust on the pie. Crimp edges to seal.
- Cut 3 slits in the top crust for steam vents.
- Sprinkle top crust with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 45-50 minutes.
- If edges get too brown, cover edges loosely with aluminum foil.
Great pie! I omitted the lemon because I didnt have any and used some tarter apples. It was amazing and my new favorite apple pie recipe!
Loved this recipe!! Had been looking for this Farm Journal recipe for quite some time--so glad that you posted it! I made this with enough apples to fill my 10 inch pie plate--it was gone in no time as I was feeding my hungry crew of farmers who were planting corn. Thanks for posting this recipe--it made my day to find it.
I have made this 4 times now. Love it. Thanks.