Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 6 -8 apples (suitable for pie I like Spy)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (you could use up to 1 cup depending on the tartness of the apples)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted walnuts (or pecans) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1 beates egg
- Mix together sugar, cornstarch, spices, raisins and walnuts (if using).
- Peel, core and slice apples about 1/8 inch thick.
- Gently fold into dry ingredients making sure apples are well coated.
- Add lemon juice and zest.
- Roll out bottom crust and place in 10" pie plate. I like Pyrex plates the best.
- Fill with prepared apples.
- Dot with little bits of butter all over.
- Cover with top crust.
- Trim around edge so it doesn't overhang more than 1/2 inch Pinch together and roll up, then using your thumb and forefinger make flutes all around the edge.
- Make little slits in top crust to let steam escape.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until apples are tender.
- Sometimes I sprinkle with a couple of tsp of white sugar just before I remove from the oven, it makes it sparkly and adds a nice crunch.