Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A fall favorite in our house.
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, broken into small pieces
- 5 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄3-2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 medium sized apples
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- Measure the flour, sugar and salt together. Stir to combine.
- Add the chilled butter pieces and shortening to the bowl. Cut them inches.
- with a pastry cutter or knife. Don't over mix them.
- Add the ice water. Mix until the dough holds together (add a bit more.
- water, if necessary).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it together, then.
- divide in half.
- Flatten each half into a disk, wrap in saran wrap and chill for at.
- least half an hour.
- Roll out one of the disks on a lightly floured surface until you have.
- a circle that's about 12 inches in diameter.
- Put the circle in a 9" pie plate, trimming any extra dough from the.
- edges with a sharp knife. Return it to the refrigerator until you are.
- ready to make the pie.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Try to keep the size of the slices even.
- Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl.
- Stir in apples.
- Pour into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Dot with margarine.
- Roll out the second ball of dough and cover top. Use a fork or your.
- fingers to pinch the edges together. cut a couple slits in the top.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cover edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent.
- too much browning.
- Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to.
- bubble through slits in crust.
This was perfect!! It was pretty simple too! I won't try another one. My whole family loved it!
Awesome recipe! Very easy to make. I used Granny Smith apples. This is the best crust recipe I have ever made. Well worth the extra effort. It's a keeper.