1/1 Photo of Apple Pie
1 hr 45 mins
This is the best apple pie. I usually freeze the filling during apple season and the use all year-round.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk (soy milk if you are making vegan)
- 1Heat oven to 425°F.
- 2Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- 3Mix sugar-cinnamon mixture gently through the apples and set aside.
- 4For the crust, mix the flour and salt together.
- 5Add the oil, mixing with a fork or pastry blender until it looks like fine crumbs.
- 6Sprinkle the milk and gently mix inches.
- 7Gather the dough together so that it forms a ball. Do not over-handle the dough as you will end up with a tough pastry.
- 8Divide pastry in half, and roll between two strips of waxed paper. (If you moisten your surface with a damp cloth, the waxed paper will not slip around.).
- 9Roll in a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- 10Peel the top sheet of waxed paper off the pastry, gently fit the crust in a 9-inch pie pan (crust down), and gently peel off the paper. If you like, you can trim the crust leaving about 1/2 inch overhanging.
- 11Heap your apple filling into the pastry-lined pan. (If you are using frozen filling, you may want to add 1 tablespoons cornstarch just in case the filling is too juicy -- no one likes a soggy pie!).
- 12Roll top crust the same way as the bottom crust and place over the filling, trimming about 1/2 inch beyond the pan rim.
- 13Fold the crust under and flute or use whatever decorative edging you like. The easiest way is to just take the tines of a fork and seal the two crusts together, working around the pie pan and then trim the excess.
- 14Cut some slits in the top crust to let steam escape.
- 15Cover the edges of the crust with a strip of aluminum foil to prevent over-browning of the edges. Set the pie on a pizza tin or a pan to collect any juices that might overflow.
- 16Bake 50 minutes, then remove the strips of aluminum foil and bake 10 more minutes.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.4
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 296.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 3.7 g