My neighbor Dot taught me how to do this. She turned 100 this year! 2 lbs of apples should make approximately 1 1/2 c. pectin. Refrigerate and use within 4 days or pour into containers and freeze for up to 6 months Use slightly under ripe apples, crab apples or fresh apple peelings. Please note: Do not use the store bought apples that have the waxy coating on them.
My Private Note
- 1Fill a large pot with quartered unpeeled apples, and then add just enough water to almost cover.
- 2Place on med-low heat stirring occasionally until the apples are fully cooked.
- 3Strain through a cheese cloth tied over a large container.
- 4(Secure by a cord tied around the rim.) Pour the hot apple mixture into the strainer, cover and let set overnight Do not press as this will turn the pectin cloudy.
- 5Collect the clear thick liquid To test the strength of the pectin, pour a little bit of rubbing alcohol into a glass and then drop in a spoonful of cold pectin.
- 6The pectin will coagulate into a jelly-like mass.
- 7If this can be picked up with a fork it is concentrated enough.
- 8If it cannot be picked up by the fork then the concentration is too weak.
- 9Boil it down to increase the concentration.
- 10Test again To use: Use 4-6 tbls.
- 11of homemade pectin for every 1 cup of prepared juice.
- 12Use equal amounts juice/pectin and sugar to make jelly.
- 13Place juice/pectin sugar in a large pan and place over med-high heat.
- 14Stir constantly to keep it from burning to the bottom of the pan.
- 15After the jelly comes to a full, rolling boil, let it do so for about a minute.
- 16To test, dip a large spoon into jelly mixture and then hold it over the pot sideways.
- 17If the jelly falls off the spoon in a sheet rather than a drop it is ready.
- 18Bring it to a vigorous boil on high heat.
- 19Remove from heat and bottle in hot sterilized jars.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pectin from Scratch
Serving Size: 1 (1750 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.7
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 62.8 g
- Protein 1.5 g