Recipe by Carol in Oregon 2
They say 'A Cheesecake is a Cheesecake', but I revised this to suit us by adding coconut and pecans. We really like. It can be easily frozen without the apples and caramel topping.
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped pecans (lightly toasted)
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter, melted (you may need a little more)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 2 medium red apples or 2 medium yellow apples, peeled,cored,cut into thin slices (or both)
- 1⁄4 cup caramel topping
- additional pecans, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To lightly toast the pecans, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring a few times, being careful not to let them burn.
- Cool completely.
- CRUST: Combine pecans, flour and coconut in medium bowl.
- Stir in melted margarine or butter.
- Place in an 8 inch springform pan and press onto the bottom and 2 inches up sides.
- Set aside.
- FILLING: Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the sweetened concensed milk.
- Add the apple juice and eggs, beating on low speed until combined.
- Stir in the chopped apple.
- Pour into prepared pan and place springform pan on a baking sheet turned upside down.
- BAKE in a 375 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes (center should appear nearly set when shaken gently).
- COOL in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- LOOSEN crust from sides of pan.
- COOL 30 minutes longer; remove sides of pan and cool completely.
- POACH apple slices in water in a large skillet for about 1 1/2 minutes or until soft; drain.
- CHILL cheesecake and apple slices in refrigerator overnight.
- BEFORE SERVING: Arrange apple slices on top of cheesecake.
- Drizzle with warmed caramel topping.
- SPRINKLE lightly with additional pecans and coconut.
- STORE leftovers, covered, in refrigerator.