Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This apple pie is amazing! I make it all the time.
Top Review by Ron Harrison
Excellent pie. I guesstimated the apples weight and I think I may have gone over 2lb. I had a lot left over. I filled the deep dish pie pan and baked. When I poured the liquid in I had too much of that as well. Don't know what happend there, but the end result is REALLY GOOD!! Next time I will chop up the apple slices a little more and see what happens.
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled cored, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped pecans (about 6-oz)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (can use more)
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar (light is okay too)
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted (no substitutions)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pecan halves, for the top of pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9" deep-dish pie plate.
- Set oven rack to lowest position.
- Prepare pie crust.
- Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pie dough into a 14" circle; fit into a 9" deep-dish pie pan; trim and flute the edge.
- Refrigerate the pie dough while preparing the pie ingredients.
- In a bowl, combine apples, pecans, cornstarch and cinnamon; spoon into the prepared pie shell.
- Cover completely with foil; bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, while pie is baking, stir together, eggs, sugar, cornsyrup, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- After baking for 45 mins, remove the foil from the baked pie.
- Slowly pour the sugar mixture over apples.
- Bake, uncovered for 55 mins, or until top is browned, and the filling is set.
- Cool on rack.
- Garnish with Pecan halves if desired.
- Serve with whipped cream or icecream.