Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This rich two layer cake, studded with pecans, is frosted with a rich browned butter powdered sugar frosting. Or you can frost it with Cream Cheese Frosting; it's your choice. Yum.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two round 9" layer cake pans and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add eggs, oil and applesauce and beat until combined. Then beat for two more minutes at medium speed on a mixer, or 100 strokes with a wooden spoon. Stir in pecans. Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger, cake pulls away from edges of pan, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove from pans to a wire rack and cool thoroughly.
- Fill and frost layers with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Or, for Browned Butter Frosting, in heavy saucepan over low heat, melt 1/2 cup butter (NO substitutes). Continue cooking over low heat, stirring frequently, until the butter turns light golden brown. This can take awhile, up to 10 minutes. After the butter browns, it can burn quickly, so watch it carefully. Remove from heat and cool until warm.
- In large mixer bowl, combine 4-1/2 cups powdered sugar with the cooled browned butter and 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice. Beat until combined. You can add 2-4 more tablespoons of apple cider to reach desired spreading consistency. Fill and frost cake.
Very good cake! Tiring of chocolate cakes (I have an 8-yr old major chocoholic) I chose this cake. It was very very sweet, when I make it again, I will reduce the sugar. I served it with Ben and Jerry's Cinnabun ice cream which was wonderful. Thanks for posting, chef 3081956. It was great, Sue