Recipe by Roosie
Healthy, high-fiber bran muffins with a twist from the normal raisins. From The Smart Baking Cookbook, by Jane Kinderlehrer.
Top Review by FionaS
Super super good!!! I used all honey in place of molasses and added applesauce as well as the oil, and replaced 1/3 of the bran w/ground flaxseed meal. I also added a pecan-lemonzest-crumb topping for extra yum. I wrote the recipe down; will be making these again!
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup yogurt
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons barley malt syrup
- 1⁄3 cup wheat bran or 1⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, buttermilk/yogurt, molasses, and honey.
- Stir in the wheat bran.
- In medium bowl, mix together the pastry flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Stir the flour mixture into the bran mixture, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in the apple and pecans.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tin and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.