Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Applesauce can be bought at the store. Have never seen apple-pear sauce though. Found this on the net a long time ago. Have tried it several times and it always turns out great. When I make a cake I try (where possible) to substitute the fat (butter, margarine or oil) with equal amounts of apple sauce. Since I found this recipe I use the apple-pear sauce too in the substitution of fat.
- 4 red apples
- 4 green apples
- 3 firm ripe pears
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Slice and core apples and pears (do not peel).
- Place all ingredients in a large stock pot and mix well.
- Cover and let simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until apples are soft and mushy, stir often.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Puree in a food processor.
- Pour sauce through a sieve to strain out any pieces of left peel.
- Apple-Pear sauce will last up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator or you can freeze it.