This smacks of old-fashioned goodness! Look for good prices on fresh fruit in season for this wonderful dessert you can make for just .53 cents a serving. This came from Taste Of Home. I have not tried this just posting for safe keeping.
- 4 cups sliced peeled peaches or 4 cups frozen unsweetened peach slices, thawed
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Spoon into a greased shallow 2-quart baking dish. For topping, in a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk just until blended. Drop by spoonfuls over peach mixture.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.
Easy recipe to follow. I would add some lemon peel or perhaps a touch of almond extract to sharpen the taste. A great ending to the summer peach season.