Recipe by Chef Doolittle
This fabulous concoction is now a holiday favorite in my family... beware, it is rich!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 large leeks, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium yams, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3/4 lb.)
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese (8 oz.)
- 1 large cooking apple, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375.
- Cook whipping cream, leeks, thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg in heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to simmer.
- Add yams and parsnips.
- Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Layer half of the vegetable mixture and half of the cheese in a greased 3-quart casserole.
- Top with apple. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.