Recipe by Elly in Canada
I have been making this dessert for many years; found it in a Purity Flour cookbook I purchased, one of my first recipe books! It is sweet and delicious! Hope you will like it! The topping is not sweet, increase the amount of sugar if you prefer, it is nice with a little nutmeg in the batter also. Note the batter does not have to cover the fruit completely, the apple mixture will bubble up and it looks nice. I sometimes add fresh cranberries to the apple mixture.
Top Review by daybreakfive
Elly thank you for posting this recipe, I have been searching for the Purity cookbook recipe for many years I have tried different recipes but nothing was as good as the one my Mum made thirty plus years ago. I can't wait to make this one again. THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU THANK-YOU!!!!!
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cups washed peeled tart apples
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend together in a saucepan- sugar flour cinnamon salt, stir in water, cook on medium heat until mixture boils and thickens slightly (8-10 minutes) then stir in butter vanilla and lemon juice.
- Set aside.
- Wash,peel and slice apples to make 4 cups, arrange slices in a buttered 9" square pan at least 2" deep and pour sauce over the apples.
- Prepare the sweet drop batter- blend flour sugar baking powder salt, using a pastry blender cut in the 3 tblsp shortening until finely mixed, add egg and milk.
- Stir with a fork to make a drop batter, do not overmix.
- Drop the batter by spoon over the fruit mixture, do NOT stir.
- Bake in 375 degree oven 35-45 minutes. Serve warm plain or with whipped cream or ice cream.
- For a little variation- I have made the sauce with white sugar and used freshly grated nutmeg (instead of cinnamon) my DH prefers it this way, he loves nutmeg!