Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
--Adopted Recipe-- I have edited the directions to make them clearer, based on guidance from the review.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 cups sliced apples
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Butter bottom of 9" square baking dish, then sprinkle with some of the brown sugar, nuts, and raisins.
- Layer in apples and remaining brown sugar.
- Cream butter, then add sugar gradually, and then add beaten egg.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to creamed ingredients, then mix until smooth.
- Pour batter over apples.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- Turn over on serving dish with apple side up.
- Serve with topping (whipped cream, etc.).
I just had to make this magic food of song (at least as sung by Sharen, Lois and Bram). I must say that I usually don't like walnuts, but they were great in this. This was very tasty, though not as rich as I might have guessed. It was somewhat sweeter than I normally like, but I did not leave any in the bowl. The upside down presentation is showy. I recommend some very rich ice cream as a topping or side dish (Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream fills the bill in my neck of the woods). Fun and tasty. The pan size that worked for me was 9" by 9". The recipe did not specify