Recipe by Sue Lau
Great taste of Autumn- perfect for lazy weekend breakfasts. Makes 20-21 pancakes. Recipe has been updated 09-25-04 to include an apple topping.
Top Review by love4culinary
These pancakes are fantastic!!! I am the pancake queen in my family lol... I make allllllll kinds of pancakes. Pumpkin, buttermilk, carrot, zucchini, banana, ...etc. For some reason I've never come up with an apple pancake! I decided to take this recipe for "s" in the alphabet game, and boy am I glad I did. These pancakes are fabulous! I was only making them for 2, but decided to make the whole recipe and freeze the leftover pancakes hehe. I cant wait for breakfast tomorrow morning :-) :-)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider (juice ok)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium mcintosh apples, cored and grated
- vegetable oil
- additional butter (optional)
- lemon juice (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- 3 mcintosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup brown sugar, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add the sour cream, apple juice, honey, melted butter, and eggs; stir until smooth (the batter will be very thick; allow batter to rest for 1/2 hour to an hour).
- To prepare apple topping, peel and core apples; slice thinly or chop small.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and add apples, cooking until tender and turning into sauce.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon to taste. Set topping aside while finishing pancakes.
- Back to the pancakes- stir the grated apples into the pancake batter.
- Heat a small amount of oil on a griddle on medium-high heat; drop batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle; do not crowd.
- Turn pancakes with a spatula when lightly browned on the underside and continue cooking until pancake is done.
- Remove from heat, and keep pancakes warm while finishing batch.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes topped with apple topping and powdered sugar, if desired.