Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy Apple Pancake from America's Test Kitchen!
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 lbs granny smith apples (3 to 4 large apples) or 1 1⁄4 lbs braeburn apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (3 to 4 large apples)
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position; heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Whisk to combine flour, granulated sugar, and salt in medium bowl. In second medium bowl, whisk eggs, half-and-half, and vanilla until combined. Add liquid ingredients to dry and whisk until no lumps remain, about 20 seconds; set batter aside.
- Heat butter in 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently with heatproof rubber spatula, until apples are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in lemon juice.
- Working quickly, pour batter around and over apples. Place skillet in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees; bake until pancake edges are brown and puffy and have risen above edges of skillet, about 18 minutes.
- Using oven mitts to protect hands, remove hot skillet from oven and loosen pancake edges with heatproof rubber spatula; invert pancake onto serving platter. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, cut into wedges, and serve.