Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another delicious Hannah Swensen recipe direct from The Cookie Jar in Lake Eden, Minnesota.
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 beaten eggs (you can beat them up with a fork)
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (uncooked oatmeal)
- 2 medium apples (peeled and chopped needs to equal 1 cup)
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (not sifted)
- Melt butter, add the sugars, and stir. Add baking soda, salt, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and beaten eggs. Mix well. Then add the oats, chopped apple and 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut. (Reserve 1/2 cup of flaked coconut for on top.) Add the flour and mix it all throughly.
- Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch cake pan. Spoon the dough in and smooth it with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup coconut you reserved evenly on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes, or until slightly browned on top.
- Let cool and cut into bars like brownies.
Since I had plenty of apples I wanted to use, I doubled the chopped apples, and halved the coconut. In addition to the cinnamon I also added 1/4 tsp ground cloves. Delicious!
I love these books and just made these bars, They were amazingly good!