Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another delicious Hannah Swensen recipe direct from The Cookie Jar in Lake Eden, Minnesota.
Make and share this Apple Orchard Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 beaten eggs (you can beat them up with a fork)
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (uncooked oatmeal)
- 2 medium apples (peeled and chopped needs to equal 1 cup)
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (not sifted)
- Melt butter, add the sugars, and stir. Add baking soda, salt, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and beaten eggs. Mix well. Then add the oats, chopped apple and 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut. (Reserve 1/2 cup of flaked coconut for on top.) Add the flour and mix it all throughly.
- Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch cake pan. Spoon the dough in and smooth it with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup coconut you reserved evenly on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes, or until slightly browned on top.
- Let cool and cut into bars like brownies.
Since I had plenty of apples I wanted to use, I doubled the chopped apples, and halved the coconut. In addition to the cinnamon I also added 1/4 tsp ground cloves. Delicious!
I love these books and just made these bars, They were amazingly good!