Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Always on the lookout for a recipe that includes orange zest, this is a great sweet side dish, or a special dessert.
- 16 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1⁄4 lb margarine, melted
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 4 medium apples, grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Toss with margarine.
- Beat eggs, orange juice, sugar, salt and orange zest together.
- Pour over the noodle mixture and toss together.
- Mix grated apples with lemon juice and add to the noodles.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 9 x 13- inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
The taste was delicious. It was great to see my three year old granddaughter eat as she has a dairy allergy and it is difficult to fix food for a family brunch. The top noodles get quite hard and crunchy. Should I have covered the casserole while baking? Please let me know.
The apple orange flavour was lovely, I added the rind of one orange, but the noodle texture was too hard to get our heads around. Sorry, but won't be making again.
This is just absolutely GREAT! I haven't had anything similar for...well, for an awful lot of years, & then it was without the orange flavor! But the apples, walnuts & noodles brought back some nice memories! Anyway, I followed your recipe almost, BUT added a little more orange zest [I, too, LOOOOVE that zest!], & although I grated 2 apples, I just chopped the other 2! This is a really outstanding recipe, & thanks for sharing.