Recipe by MrsPres
A Williams-Sonoma favorite!! A little bit of extra work, but very yummy!
Top Review by cylee
Thanks so much for posting! I've been making this for years (got it from the WS catalogue years ago)...I get requests to make this every year. Couldn't find the catalogue this year, you've saved Turkey Day!
- 1⁄2 orange
- 2 cups water
- 1 tart apple (such as Granny Smith, pippin or McIntosh)
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze the juice from the orange and set the juice aside. Remove and discard the membrane from inside the orange rind and cut the rind into small dice.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the rind and the water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Peel, core and quarter the apple. Cut into 1/2-inch dice and place in a saucepan. Sort the cranberries, discarding any soft ones.
- Add to the apples along with the orange juice, orange rind, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan partially. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, the apple is tender and the cranberries have burst, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the cranberry sauce to a heatproof bowl and let cool for 1 hour before serving. Or cover and refrigerate; bring to room temperature before serving. Transfer the cranberry sauce to a sauce boat and pass at the table.