Prep 55 mins
Cook 13 mins
- 15 lbs apples (sour or tart or crab)
- water, cold
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sugar
- of fresh mint (optional) or 2 dashes mint sauce (optional) or 2 dashes green food coloring (optional) or 2 dashes cloves (optional)
- Wash 15 pounds of tart apples and quarter without peeling.
- Place in a preserving pan, just cover with cold water, and simmer gently until soft and tender.
- Drain through a jelly bag.
- Shift the pulp gently occasionally to keep the juice flowing; do not force the juice through as this will make the jelly cloudy.
- Measure 32 fluid ounces of juice into a 12-quart pan and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and boil for 5 to 8 minutes longer, or until a drop jells on a cold plate. Pour into hot clean jars and seal.
- Continue cooking 32 fluid ounces at a time until all the juice has been used.
- Use the pulp for making an apple cheese.
- MINT APPLE JELLY: Cook a few sprigs of fresh mint with the apples when preparing to extract the juice. [1 or 2 drops of mint sauce may be used if fresh mint is not available.] Add a few drops of green food colouring and mint sauce just before pouring into the jars. Avoid adding too much flavouring and colouring.
- SPICED APPLE JELLY: Tie a few whole cloves in a piece of muslin. Drop into the juice at the beginning of cooking and only remove when jelly is poured into the jars.
I made this about a month ago and it is fantastic! I didn't add any food coloring as I like the natural color (golden pink). For a double batch I added one box of Certo and just dumped it into the boiling apple juices. It was my first time canning anything or making jelly and it was simple and turned out really well. I got many compliments so far for this jelly. I will be using this as my staple apple jelly. Thanks Helen!
This was so easy, no temperature taking or testing. Works perfect everytime. And the batch size fits perfectly in my canner. Thanks!
this is a good simple recipie easy to make fun to enjoy my grand kids love the red and green apple jelly on their toast ,sandwiches etc.thanks rnp.s. the recipie said to save the pulp for apple cheese and i can't find the recipie for it plse help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!