1 hr 15 mins
Posted in response to another member's request for a central/eastern European coffee cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 -8 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons butter
- demerara sugar
- ground cinnamon
- 1Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and mix with the cream, sour cream and egg yolks.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the flour, lemon zest, sugar, and salt.
- 3Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles small peas.
- 4Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture.
- 5Mix with a fork just enough to moisten the dry flour.
- 6Cover the dough and store in the refrigerator over night.
- 7Next day, divide the dough into two portions and roll out to fit into two 9" x 13" baking pans.
- 8For one pan, arrange the peeled apples, shingle-wise and closely, in neat rows over the dough.
- 9Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- 10Sprinkle with demerara or brown sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- 11Dot with butter and bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- 12Put under the broiler for the last few minutes to make the apples soft and juicy.
- 13For the other pan, rub the cottage cheese through a sieve.
- 14Mix with the sour cream.
- 15Beat the egg yolks with the sugar, lemon zest and vanilla.
- 16Mix together the egg mixture, cottage cheese mixture and the raisins.
- 17Taste to see if you need more sugar.
- 18If the mixture feels too soft, add 1 tablespoon of flour.
- 19Spread the mixture over the dough.
- 20Brush the entire surface with the beaten whole egg.
- 21Bake about 45 minutes until the cake is golden on top.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple or Cheese Flatbread
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.7
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 80.9 mg
- Sodium 300.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 8.6 g