Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A wonderful concoction that is perfect with potato pancakes or vegetable fritters or alongside grilled chicken. From Provencal chef Maximum.
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, quartered and sliced very thinly
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple cider, divided
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 allspice berries
- 1⁄2 small jalapeno, seeded and julienned
- 1 large sweet apple (your choice)
- Combine the onion in a small saucepan with three-quarters cup of the cider and the vinegar, allspice berries and jalapeρo. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the allspice.
- Peel and core the apple, then cut lengthwise into eighths and crosswise into very thin slices. Add the apples to the onion mixture along with the remaining cider.
- Cook, stirring often, until the mixture is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
We used a whole red jalapeÃ±o. We loved it. I served it with beef patties. I think it would go even better with pork.