Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is comfort food at its best for me, and it is relatively healthy! This tastes like an apple pie with the crumb topping mixed in! This is a slight adaptation of a recipe in "Fix It and Forget it Lightly" and was credited to Sue Hamilton in Minooka, IL. This is very rich and we liked it topped with fat free cool-whip. The original recipe calls for regular white flour, I just prefer to use whole wheat pastry flour.
- 3 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup oats (quick cooking or regular)
- 1⁄3 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add the cut up apples.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well.
- It will look like it could not possibly be enough liquid when you first start mixing. But stick with it, it will work!
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve hot or cold.
I live in China, so I don't have an oven and I've been trying to satisfy my cravings with a crock pot. Everything I've made that is supposed to be crunchy or cake-like has turned out kind of rubbery. This recipe turned out the same. The flavor was pretty good, but the texture was not like apple pie with the crumb topping mixed in. It's more like bread pudding with apples. Beggars can't be choosy, but the texture really wasn't what I expected. Thanks anyway!
I love simple crockpot recipes and this was one of them. I used sugar as well. I did fine it needed some extra moisture though. I added about 3/4 cup of water near the end of the cooking process. Thanks ladypit
This makes a nice low-fat, lower carb dessert. I didn't bother to peel the apples and used 2 eggs and the equivalent of 1 egg in substitute. My crock-pot cooks a little "hot" and the pudding was done in about 3 hours. It was served warm with low-fat vanilla yogurt.