Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Carlene Duda's 'Beyond Oatmeal: 101 Breakfast Recipes'...I have an apple tree that puts out a lot of apples and I am putting them to good use with this recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar, salt and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of flour mixture for topping; set aside.
- Add baking powder, soda, apple juice, vanilla and egg to remaining flour mixture.
- Beat mixture at medium speed until blended; fold in chopped apple.
- Spoon batter into a greased 8-inch round cake pan and sprinkle with the reserved 1/2 c flour mixture over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- Cool on wire rack.
Just didn't have a lot of flavor. I made caramel sauce to go over it and that helped. I loved the fresh apples in it and even put cinnamon in the recipe after tasting it with just the nutmeg. Just tasted kind of plain. But super moist.
Very good recipe. I have made it twice and added cinnamon. I also forgot to take the flour out for the top and took 1/2 cup of the dry mix and it was really good. I also sized the recipe up by 1.5 to fit in a 9 x 9 pan. Thank you for the recipe.
This recipe is fabulous! I substituted 1/3 cup white rice flour, 1/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum for the 1 cup of flour to make it gluten free and it came out super moist and delicious.