Recipe by Rachie P
From Carlene Duda's 'Beyond Oatmeal: 101 Breakfast Recipes'...I have an apple tree that puts out a lot of apples and I am putting them to good use with this recipe.
Top Review by Angela Butler
Just didn't have a lot of flavor. I made caramel sauce to go over it and that helped. I loved the fresh apples in it and even put cinnamon in the recipe after tasting it with just the nutmeg. Just tasted kind of plain. But super moist.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar, salt and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of flour mixture for topping; set aside.
- Add baking powder, soda, apple juice, vanilla and egg to remaining flour mixture.
- Beat mixture at medium speed until blended; fold in chopped apple.
- Spoon batter into a greased 8-inch round cake pan and sprinkle with the reserved 1/2 c flour mixture over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- Cool on wire rack.