Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found (and lost) a great recipe from Sunset or Family Circle magazine about 25 years ago. This is my version from my spotty memory! BATTER WILL BE THICK! Works best with GRATED apple.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 5 -6 apples, peeled, cored and GRATED
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Lightly beat eggs in small bowl. Add oil and eggs to dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Fold in apples and nuts and pour into loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool on rack.
This was fantastic. I made as stated and DH ate about 1/4 of the loaf before it had time to cool. :) Loved the combination of spices with the apples. And the flavor of the nuts and oatmeal is always a favorite together. I used 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white flours. Will make this again into muffins. Thanks for submitting.
Delicious bread! I used 5 medium-sized Braeburn apples, but could see this being good with a really tart apple, like Granny Smith. Made as stated except I subbed 1/4 tsp allspice and 1/4 tsp cloves for the mace. Love the combination of spices in this bread! For those of you that don't want to grate the apples by hand, I used my food processor did not have any problems. This will be a definite repeat in my house! Made for PAC Spring 2011.
Fabulous tasting bread. I love the addition of every one of these spices, so please, anyone making this bread, DO NOT leave them out. It's what truly makes the bread stand out from many other posted apple bread recipes. That and the addition of the oatmeal really brings this recipe over the top. I cut it in 1/2 and got two mini-loaves. Made for KK's Recipe Tag~