Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from the Salishan Lodge on the Oregon coast. The chef graciously shared the recipe with me when I asked. It is always a big hit when I serve it, usually when we have company.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 4 -5 yellow apples or 4 -5 green apples, chopped
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- maple syrup
- finely chopped walnuts
- creme fraiche
- Mix together oatmeal, hot water, butter and chopped apples.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Beat together the brown sugar and eggs.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients and vanilla and mix well.
- Add apple-oatmeal mixture to dry ingredients then add eggs and sugar and blend thoroughly.
- Cook as you would pancakes on a preheated griddle.
- Serve with chopped walnuts, maple syrup and creme fraich.
I actually worked there 18 years ago. I love these. I had been looking for the recipe to these for a while. Thanks for sharing these. I also like to top this with apple butter.