Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I like to have this for breakfast.
Make and share this Apple-Oat Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 medium apples, chopped (2 cups)
- apple, sliced (if desired)
- 3 tablespoons firm margarine
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats or 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Grease square pan, 9 × 9 × 2 inches.
- Prepare Oat Streusel; set aside.
- Beat remaining ingredients except apples in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in apples.
- Spread half of the batter in pan; sprinkle with half of the streusel.
- Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining streusel.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- Garnish with apple slices.
- OAT STREUSEL-----------------------.
- Cut margarine into oats, flour and brown sugar, using pastry blender or fork, until crumbly.
- Stir in nuts.
This cake turned out scrumptiously and the recipe was very easy to follow!! In the cake, I replaced a bit of the flour with oats to add more fiber; for the filling, I used cream cheese instead of butter b/c I was runing low on butter but high on the cream cheese (turned out perfectly); used toasted almonds in the filling, added raisins to the cake, and put my new spice that I received from miller in also (cardamom) as I did not have all the spices. I also used 1 egg istead of just the egg whites. I will definantly be making this in the future!! thanks a lot Mirj!!
I just made this, and it was a hit! Everyone in my family loved it. From reading the reviews, I decided to use 6 tbsp butter, and one whole egg and one egg white instead of the 2 whites, and it was really great! I went a little heavy on the apple as well, and I didn't find it dry at all. Thank you so much for the great recipe!
Great cake! Moist, sweet, and light. Easy to put together, although it does make a lot of dirty dishes. And very, very yummy! Next time I will probably double the nuts in the topping for even more crunch. *I replaced the 3/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup Splenda with no ill effects.