A nice fall season breakfast! Serve with warm maple syrup, or low-fat vanilla yogurt and chopped walnuts.
- 1 1⁄3 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium granny smith apples, peeled and finely shredded
- Mix water, butter and oats in a bowl and let stand 20 minutes.
- Add sugar and eggs; beat to blend.
- Add remaining ingredients (except apples) and stir just to mix. Fold in shredded apples.
- Cook as any pancake, on griddle.
These pancakes are outstanding! The soaking of the oats in the water/butter is well worth the extra time it takes because it really adds to the rich and nutty taste of these pancakes. Hearty and filling, yet fluffy - loved these - thanks for sharing the recipe!
These are really great. Even DH who doesn't eat pancakes ate one.I also found the batter a little to thick so I add some yogurt I had in the fridge and that did the trick. thanks