Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From BH&G canning. This would be great with a cheese & cracker tray or as a go-along with pork.
- 5 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup light raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a 6 or 8-quart kettle combine apples, water and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in pectin; return to a full boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar and raisins; return to full boil.
- Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in ground nutmeg.
- Ladle into hot, sterile jars; clean rim and adjust lids.
- Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
I thought this was good. I did reduce the water to either 1/2 or 3/4 depending on the moisture in the apples I was using. I also reduced the sugar to 3 cups. I used golden raisins and that made the whole dish have a great yellow color. Will def make again!
Fast, easy and tastes good but the raisins have a tendancy to sink to the bottom.