Recipe by Treewoman
A tasty, easy recipe for stuffing your turkey, or as "dressing" on the side. I developed this recipe by playing around with family recipes and adding the apples and nuts to give it a little more moisture and flavor. Altho I usually don't stuff my turkeys, this recipe makes enough to stuff a 14-16 lb. turkey, or if you make 1 1/2 times the recipe, it will stuff a 20 lb. turkey and fill a large casserole dish on the side.
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 8 cups seasoned dry bread cubes
- 2 medium apples, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 -3 celery ribs, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine nuts, bread cubes and diced apples.
- In medium saucepan, over medium heat, cook onion and celery in margarine (or butter) until tender; stir in poultry seasoning and broth. Pour over bread cube mixture and toss lightly.
- For dressing on the side: Spoon mixture into 3 quart casserole or 9x13 baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes, or until heated throughout. You may want to remove the cover early to brown the dressing if you like it a little crispy on top.
- To stuff turkey: follow recommended times for roasting your turkey with stuffing inside.