Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Pancakes with apples and nuts topped with a homemade syrup.syrup may be made ahead of time and kept warm or pancakes may be cooked and kept warm in a low oven while syrup cooks.
- 1 cup unbleached wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup red apple, shredded (any variety you like)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.Set aside.
- Mix milk,butter,and vanilla in a medium bowl.Add to dry ingredients,stir until incorporated.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.Gently fold egg whites into the batter.Fold in apples and nuts gently.
- Heat a griddle on medium,ad oil or butter ,and when hot drop batter onto griddle by the 1/4 cup .When pancakes begin to bubble around the edges,flip,and continue cooking until the other side is browned and the center is no longer doughy,about 2 minutes.Serve hot with butter and syrup.
- To make syrup:whisk together the cornstarch with a little juice until smooth.Add the rest of the juice and all other syrup ingredients,whisking.Heat on medium in a small saucepan and simmer 6-8 minutes or until syrup has thickened.