Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of my favorite quick breakfasts in the fall and winter, especially if you warm it up in the microwave. I've been making this for 20 years! It is one of the first recipes I ever learned.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Grease pan.
- In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat together shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla.
- Core, peel and chop the apple.
- Stir ½ of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture.
- Add the sour cream and then the rest of the flour.
- Stir in apple.
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Chop the nuts.Mix with cinnamon, brown sugar and butter. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
My dh took one bite of this cake,and said we are in trouble.Oh yes! this is good.I used 1/2 cup walnuts,3tab. butter,2tab.cinnamon in a 8 by 8 pan, for 32 min. thank you, dicooks,for a keeper.
Yum! Made this for breakfast yesterday and it was wonderful! It was moist and delicious. Made as written, except we didn't have walnuts so I used pecans instead and we only had light sour cream. Used 1/2 cup pecans, 3 tablespoons butter and 3 heaped teaspoons cinnamon in the topping. The apple was a Fuji. Baked in 8x8 pan for 30 min. Thanks for a great, quick recipe!
I substituted the shortening with canola oil and it worked out just fine! You might want to make a revision on the instructions because you left out the addition of the egg and vanilla, but I put them in after creaming the sugar and oil and before adding the flour. =D This cake was delicious and not overly sweet, which we love in our coffee cakes! I give this recipe an A+, definately a keeper.