Recipe by dicentra
This is one of my favorite quick breakfasts in the fall and winter, especially if you warm it up in the microwave. I've been making this for 20 years! It is one of the first recipes I ever learned.
Top Review by dolores in paradise
My dh took one bite of this cake,and said we are in trouble.Oh yes! this is good.I used 1/2 cup walnuts,3tab. butter,2tab.cinnamon in a 8 by 8 pan, for 32 min. thank you, dicooks,for a keeper.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease pan.
- In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat together shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla.
- Core, peel and chop the apple.
- Stir ½ of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture.
- Add the sour cream and then the rest of the flour.
- Stir in apple.
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Chop the nuts.Mix with cinnamon, brown sugar and butter. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.