Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These muffins are fantastic, and rise very high when baked! If you prefer a sweeter muffin add in more brown or white sugar. I have even made these in mini loaf pans and they were great! If you like nutmeg just add in 1/2 teaspoon to the flour mixture if desired.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar (add in more for a sweeter muffin)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, vanilla and egg until well blended.
- Make a "well" in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture; fold/mix in with a wooden spoon or a spatula JUST until blended (batter will look lumpy).
- Fold in apples, nuts and raisins (if using).
- In a small cup or bowl; mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly between the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until muffins test done.
- Immediately remove from tins.
- Best served warm.
WONDERFUL! I didn't have two apples so I substituted 1 mashed banana for one of the apples - delicious!
Sorry. Followed directions exactly and I didn't like the texture... too mushy and stuck to the muffins wrappers even after I took them out right away. Maybe you can only do in the tins itself? They had a decent flavor, I just wasn't thrilled.
Very outstanding :P I used only 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I didn't want it too sweet and this is perfect. I used pecans instead of walnuts (that's what I had) and no raisins. Thanks Kit :) Made for 123 hit wonders.