Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
This is called a "mystery" because it's difficult to decide whether it's a cake, pudding, or pie. I happen to love all three, so it's no mystery why I love this comfort food. One bonus is that the cake part does not contain any butter/shortening, so have another piece!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Cinnamon Hard Sauce more like an icing
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease 9 inch pie pan.
- 3In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and dash of cinnamon.
- 4Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and eggs.
- 5Add apples and walnuts and mix well.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until browned and firm to the touch.
- 7Hard Sauce:.
- 8In small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and beat at high speed of mixer (or Kitchen Aid).
- 9Shape into 2 inch thick roll and wrap in plastic wrap.
- 10Refrigerate until firm.
- 11To serve, cut hard sauce into slices and top each serving of dessert with one.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Mystery Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.7
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 68.3 mg
- Sodium 303.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 44.9 g
- Protein 4.6 g