Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Washington Apple Commission.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 4 cups diced granny smith apples
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- In deep skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in gingerroot, garlic, curry paste, salt and pepper and cook one minute.
- Pour in coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add squash and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add apple and chicken and cook just until apples are tender but still hold their shape, about 10 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with coriander and serve with warm naan bread or cooked basmati rice.
Great recipe to use fruits and veggies, a little hot - so you could cut back on curry paste if you don't want too much heat.
My boyfriend's first comment after tasting this recipe was "Mmmm you make the best stuff for dinner" LOL. His second comment was "I think I need more, it's so much like having dessert for dinner I'll have a bowl for dessert now!" I liked it a lot too, and agree it was an interesting mix of sweet and spicy. I followed the directions exactly and served it over basmati rice with a little toasted wheat pita bread on the side. I have pictures Iâ€™ll post soon!