These muffins are so good for for breakfast before school or to pack in a lunch with a salad. Recipe source: May 1981)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup corn oil or 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour muffin tins or use paper liners.
- In a small bowl combine white sugar and butter and mix with a fork until crumbly and set aside for topping.
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar, oil and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, soda, salt and vanilla.
- Alternately add buttermilk mixture and flour into the brown sugar mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Fold in apples and pecans (if using).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins and then sprinkle with reserved topping mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick tests done.
Very good! I did make a few changes. I doubled it, and got 36 muffins. I didn't have any buttermilk, so substituted with 2% milk mixed with 1 TBS of lemon juice. I mixed the baking soda with the flour, along with about 1/2 tsp of baking powder (as suggested by another reviewer). I omitted the nuts, and added about 1 tsp. of cinnamon. I had WAY too much topping left... at least double what I needed. Will definately make again, but will add more cinnamon, and some nutmeg. Very yummy!
I just finished one and they are wonderful. I grated my apple and only used raw sugar on top. Will be making these again tomorrow to use up some of the apples DH picked for me.
These are brilliant muffins. I made it to take it to my daughter's end of school year event and it was a big hit! I doubled the recipe but forgot to count how many I got in all. I didn't have any buttermilk so I used milk and lemon juice instead, left out the nuts but added in an extra half cup of apples and as suggested by the other reviewer I added in 1 tsp of baking powder. Did I mention everyone loved it! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe, ellie, I will be making it again today to take to my son's nursery potluck this evening!