Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
Perfect in the morning
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup apple, diced (1 large apple)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just combined and no streaks of flour remain, adding in the apples and raisins at the last minute. Do not overmix.
- Divide evenly into muffin tins and sprinkle with 1 tbsp additional sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 350F for 16-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the muffin springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool on a wire rack. Muffins are best when just cooled.